Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Big Hair

Big Hair Current mood: crazy Category: Blogging
I used to have big hair. Well, big, frizzy, disgusting hair. But, big none the less. The big hair motto: The bigger the bangs the better. I went through so much environmentally unfriendly hairspray like water. The hairspray of choice: Aquanet. Dear God did that stuff stink too! With big ol' hair, you could only pray that it didn't rain. If your hairspray saturated bangs got wet, not only did they flatten, but they were reduced to this sticky, glue like substance. When you raked the brush through this sticky mess, you came out with gobs of sticky, white goo… white flakes when it dried. Then you could only start the whole merciless, curling, teasing and spraying process all over again.
My 6th grade teacher told me that I pulled out valuable brain cells when I did my hair.
I loved the 80's, I loved my youth. But the 80's style is one I never wanted to see return. Even more than the 80's style, the early 90's style is one I hope I never see again! Yet some people are just trapped in an era. I went to college, yes college, with this girl that was permanently stuck in the late 80's early 90's. She would come to class in her stone washed denim jeans with her matching stone washed denim jacket, complete with the pink lace filled cutouts. She even wore those terrible scrunchy socks and those witchlike looking, flat, pointy shoes. Her clothes weren't retro either, nuh uh, she was wearing vintage baby! You could tell she clung desperately to that era, the same as she clung to the clothes that she never bothered to throw out… even into the new millennium.
I see the young girls at the pubs on a Sat. night here. Sadly, they are trying to revive what is long dead. They think they are so cool and that their ensemble is complete when they find the big, dangly, electric blue earrings to match their electric blue top and electric blue high heels. All to compliment their stone washed denim skirts of course. I say, if they are going to do it, do it right for fuck's sake! If you are going to try to be 80's then break out the legwarmers, wear some crazy, bright makeup, with loads of eyeliner, curl, tease and spray your hair like there's no tomorrow!!
My big hair is gone, the 80's are gone and so is my youth. But I could still show these girls a thing or two about big hair! Just give me a curling iron, a brush and some Aquanet!

No comments: