Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Wondering about the Dragon Years

Warren was watching one of his programs on Cbeebies the other day and they were going on about dragons. At the end of the program, they made sure to point out that dragons don’t really exist. It got me wondering. I think I have a closeted obsession with dragons. I have a big dragon tattoo on my back, I love films that have anything to do with dragons, I love looking at pictures of dragons. I wouldn’t call myself a fantasy fanatic, as in, into Dungeons and Dragons, Magic, Star Trek, etc. But I do have a penchant for the ol’ fantasy. I’m quite obsessed with the Harry Potter films and the Lord of the Ring films. I don’t go to conventions or anything and I most certainly don’t dress in Hogwarts school attire or as a hobbit. But, I do quite like the films, I’ve seen them all more than three times anyway.

What I was really pondering though, was if dragons really existed or not. I’d like to believe that they did. They want us to buy the ‘fact’ that massive lizard-like creatures ( or bird-like if you believe ‘Jurassic Park’ films) existed and roamed the earth. Big old lizards with massive teeth, huge muscular legs and teeny tiny little arms, ruled the roost. Yet, massive lizards that could fly and breathed fire, didn’t. Where’s the sense in that? Oh, I know, I know, they have found fossils of the dinosaurs and have never found fossils of dragons. I reckon, dragon’s fire breathing ability was also their downfall. I reckon that they never find dragon fossils because they all spontaneously combusted! How can they ever find fossils of creatures that spontaneously combusted? Seriously, at the end of the day, if you have the capability to produce and breath fire… It’s going to come back to bite you in the ass some day. They had to reach maturity before they got their fire, so they did have a short window to reproduce. Eventually, they just ceased to exist. How sad, I’d love to have a loyal pet dragon…. I’d call it Shishkebab. Mind you, I already had a semi pet hedgehog living in my garden that I called Shishkebab, but I’d recycle the name because I love it that much.. I just rolls off the tongue.

Another thing I’ve been pondering lately… They’ve been showing a lot of reruns of the Wonder Years on telly here. The Wonder Years really takes me back. I think the Wonder Years was like the soap opera of every child and teenager growing up during it’s airing. I remember how lovely Nikki Blick, a girl I went to school with, was constantly told, ’You look just like that Winnie Cooper on the Wonder Years!’ Now, I know that was a compliment in it’s own way, but poor Nikki Blick must have got sick of it! Nikki Blick and Derek Dummermuth… They were the Winnie and Kevin of our elementary school. Anyway, the Wonder Years was like a bible to every pre-pubescent youth that watched it! We looked up to that show, we watched it to guide us in current or future situations and encounters. The Wonder Years had all the answers!

Life just never pans out like fantasy does. We’ll never find that perfect, loyal, flying, fire breathing massive lizard, just waiting to be tamed, as our pet.. And we’ll never find our Kevin Arnold to our Winnie Cooper, perfectly flawed as they might have been. I can hope that the younger generations dare to believe in their own pet Shishkebab’s and that they catch reruns of the Wonder Years. Maybe they’ll hang on to that hope. It’s like a band that I absolutely hate once said, ‘Don’t stop believing, hold onto that feeling.’

Did you picture two lesbians roller skating when you read that? One being a battle axe looking prostitute serial killer? Ah, you watch too many fantasy movies!

No comments: